HISTORY OF THE MANNING ASSOCIATION
How it all began
The Manning Association was founded by Warren H. Manning on March 4, 1901, with Hon. David Manning, State Senator of Worcester, passing legislation that formally incorporated the Association. The first Annual Manning meeting was on June 18, 1900. Warren was responsible for the restoration of his family's early colonial homestead, the Manning Manse in Billerica, Massachusetts. In the 1890s, the property was in decline, and Manning led a carefully documented rehabilitation of the c. 1696 homestead. He occupied it as a summer home until his death. He also purchased large tracts of land surrounding the homestead, on which he maintained an office for a time. Much of this land is now for the core of Warren H. Manning State Forest.
The Library of American Landscape History has been conducting an extensive historical investigation on the life and work of Warren H. Manning. You can visit their Main Page at http://www.lalh.org, or pages related to their Manning Research Project at http://www.lalh.org/research.
EARLY YEARS OF THE MANSE
The Full Story
Samuel Manning was born July 21, 1644 in Cambridge, Massachusetts and around 1666 he moved to Billerica. He had an excellent education and had handsome penmanship. He was asked between 1677 and 1700 to manage the repair and rebuilding of "the great bridge" over the Concord River.
He ultimately acquired about 225 acres of land where the Manning Manse would later be built in 1696. At the time the area often had Indian outbreaks and massacres. This house was officially appointed a "garrison house". A garrison house is one in which particular families could gather during an Indian attack. Although there are no records that show the Manning house was attacked, Indian attacks didn't stop until 1724, it was a good possibility that this home was filled with frightened families at one time or another.
This house was passed down from Samuel to his son, William, then to his son, William, then to his son William. Many family members were born and died in this home and area of town.
In 1752, the second William was licensed as an inn-holder by the Middlesex Co. Court, and the Manning Manse became a tavern under his management. In existence currently are tavern account books dating back to 1753. Entries of liquids sold include "rhum, cyder, todda, flip, and cheary drame."
The cost of a pound of sugar was 4 shillings, a pair of shoes was 2 pounds and 7 shillings, and a gallon of cider was 6 shillings.
In the 1770's, an outbuilding was used in the manufacture of saltpeter, an ingredient in the black powder which armed soldiers in the Revolutionary War. The great iron kettles used in the boiling off of the saltpeter would eventually become vessels for the boiling of laundry, and around 1880, the last of them was broken up and sold for scrap. Some were five or six feet in diameter, and up to 5 inches thick.
After his death in 1814, William Manning, who was then the owner, passed it down to his children. One by one these children moved on and raised families of their own. The last of these children was Miss Lucinda Manning. She stayed single by choice. She was a religious women. She enjoyed sitting by the east window, the one that currently looks out towards the parking lot.
Lucinda was born in 1790 in the home, and died in nearby Chelmsford in 1880. In her will she left the Manning home to trustees to be leased, and the funds to be put towards public worship and religious instruction in that part of the town of Billerica, which was School District Number 4. The Manse was the place where life and began and ended for many of Lucinda's closest of kin. She is remembered as a tall and dignified woman in spotless cap and snowy lace parted on her neck with precision learned in the school room. She was a teacher for many years. She was remarkable for activity, earnestness, cordiality, and hospitality.
While Lucinda was the only person in the home, gypsies took advantage. The home started to deteriorate with no protectors nearby, and work was not done to make improvements. Lucinda decided to move, and paid for a new house to be built in Chelmsford, a few miles away. The great age of the house was showing. Above the first floor all beams remained uninjured and indeed were iron-like solid. However, clapboards were literally crumbling into dust. A party of young men at one time planned to set fire on a holiday as a diversion, and were barely prevented from completing the destruction.
By 1898, the building was in much need of repair. It was at this time that Warren H. Manning became interested in it, and in 1899, acquired a ten year lease on the house and surrounding land, and successfully began making repairs to the Manse. He made this building his summer home.
In June of 1901, with the assistance of the compiler of the Manning Genealogy (William H. Manning) he was able to assemble about 100 descendants of William and Samuel Manning, and on June 17, 1901 the Manning Association came into existence.